Inspired by: Baked Potato Casserole
My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
- 5 pounds red potatoes, cooked and cubed
- 1 pound sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled [I didn’t have bacon, but I did have bacon bits]
- 1 pound cheddar cheese, cubed [I omitted this from my version]
- 4 cups 16 ounces shredded cheddar cheese [I halved this]
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 tablespoon minced chives [chives weren’t available, so I used spring onions]
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- [In addition, I also used 1tsp dill, 1tsp garlic granules, 1tsp powdered onion, and 1 tsp parsley to give it a ‘ranch dressing’ sort of flavor]
I had just copied down the ingredients and didn’t follow the method from the original recipe at all.
- I pre-cooked cubed potatoes by poaching them earlier in the day.
- I mixed the mayo and sour cream together in the casserole and then added spices.
- I added chopped onion, bacon bits, and chopped spring onion and stirred those in.
- I added potatoes and made sure they were well coated with the sauces.
- I topped with cheese.
- I popped the casserole into the oven at 180 degrees C until the cheese started turning golden.
- Potatoes are super cheap in late winter, so this is very budget friendly. Fed our family for two nights and one lunch.
- Kids weren’t as thrilled with all of the toppings, but hubby loved it.