It doesn’t get any fresher nor easier than this. Inspired by our holiday spent in Verona 2010.
My Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars
Ingredients [roughly on a per person basis]
- Fresh basil
- 1 Tomato per person
- 1 mozzarella ball per person
- green olives
- 1 Tbpn olive oil
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- Pepperoni slices
- (optional) capers…. because they’re capers.
- (optional) sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil. Because you bought it for this one recipe and its been sitting in your fridge for too long.
- Microwave the pepperoni slices until they are warm enough to sweat.
- Slice tomato and mozzarella.
- Arrange on a plate in this order: slice of tomato, basil leaf, slice of mozzarella, pepperoni slice.
- Shake olive oil and balsamic vinegar together and sprinkle over all of the slices.
- Garnish with green olives and sun-dried tomatoes. Or incorporate them, your choice.
- The traditional recipe doesn’t call for olives, balsamic vinegar, nor pepperoni slices, but adding those makes this salad more kid friendly. Adding those ingredients was inspired by this recipe, which imnsho deserves a whole 5 stars.